Friday, August 15, 2014

German American Volksfest

This post is going to be mostly pictures because my children are too adorable to not share, I may be a little biased though! Since moving to Germany I have wanted to get them traditional German clothes so for the fest (and many more times) we got Harper a dirndl and Waylon some lederhosen. Oh boy did they look amazing in them too.

The German American fest is held in Grafenwohr on the Army base there. Colby's buddy from AIT is stationed there so he met us at the fest. They had all sorts of American things at the fest along with traditional German things too. We rode several of the amusement park style rides with the kids and found out at least Harper, and Waylon a little, are total thrill seekers already. I love it! I got to go on the rides with them. Harper's favorite were the octopus, yes they still have that one, and the giant "swings". They were more of a porch swing style seat but you were tilted so you went up really high and then back down while going round and round.

The American food I really wanted was a blooming onion. When I say someone else eating on it brought me back to the South Dakota State Fair. It also made me a little sad knowing that I have no clue when I will be able to attend the fair again. I am 27 years old and I don't remember ever missing it. This will be my first, of many, that I will have to miss the fair. Anyways we walked around to find where they were selling the blooming onions and the line was ridiculous! It was hot and the kids seem cranky because all they wanted to do was ride the rides. So I passed up the onion, which was probably better for my diet anyway.

They also had Stars Wars characters walking around taking pictures with people. We were able to get a picture with Darth Vader. It was fun to get a little taste of home even though we didn't even eat any of the American food. We will be stateside soon enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment