Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Mom & Dad visit: Northern Netherlands

The last leg of our Netherlands tour was the northern part of the country. My dad's family is Dutch. My grandma is 100% Dutch and my dad is 50%. When my parents were planning to come visit us we knew we were going to spend more time in the Netherlands then Germany on this trip. My mom did some asking around and found out were my dad's ancestors were from so we headed there.

Along our way we saw lots of beautiful fields of tulips along with some windmills. We also crosses a man made road over the North Sea to go to the northern part of the Netherlands. We went to the state/providence of Friesland. We stopped in some very small villages and saw very nice countryside. 


Our last stop was in the biggest city Dokkum. It is a very nice place and we probably could of made a short vacation out of that city and the area. We wondered around the downtown area looking for graveyards to see any headstones with the family name on it. We didn't see any but enjoyed the view of there canal and windmill. We also at a this nice little cafe called Place 2 be. The waitress didn't really speak much english so that was interesting. Colby speaks some german which is similar to dutch but we made do and were able to communicate enough to get some amazing food.


We were able to sign there guest book too so everyone knows some Americans ate there. I would rather go back to this little city/area instead of Amsterdam. Although I wouldn't made another trip the the Netherlands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment