Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Wolfstein Castle Ruins

A couple week ago I turned 27. I know I'm getting so old! haha My present was a trip, thats what we are doing while in Germany, but since it wasn't until the following weekend I still wanted to get out and do something fun. I have my trusty notebook for travel ideas and I opened it to my list of castle and castle ruins. We thought a ruins would be more fun especially for the kids. We didn't want to go too far since we had to be back for our date that night(!) so I got on google and found Wolfstein only about 45 minutes south of us.



Wolfstein was one of the most intact ruins was have seen so far. It was really cool to go inside the main structure of the castle. There were still wall separating the rooms and windows. The kids enjoyed being able to run around and climb on things. There was only another family there when we got there so we pretty much had the place to our selves. Inside one of the rooms in the main castle structure we had a pillory. Of course we had a little fun with it. Its not every day you get to experience a form of medieval punishment with you kids. 

He was being bad!

I forgot the cool tripod we bought for such occasions but oh well I made do with the self timer and a rock. Could of ben better but I learned my lesson for next time. 

The castle, like most, was on top of a mountain/hill I'm not really sure what the Germans consider it. We were able to park pretty close and then walk only a little ways. Of course being up so high always makes for amazing view of this beautiful country we are calling home right now. Harper is our little budding photographer and always wants to take pictures. With a little coaching from mom she was able to capture this picture of Colby and I. Pretty good for a 3 year old I'd say!


I enjoy these little adventures with my family so much and hope we can continue even when we move back to the States even though there won't be any castle ruins to explore! 

No comments:

Post a Comment